Friday, December 26, 2008

Our Gingerbread House & Yummy Pavlova

We did some fun holiday baking over Christmas and on Christmas Eve, we made our first ever Gingerbread House. I made this one all from scratch with the dough and cutting out the house pieces. After I baked it all, I let the kids decorate it and do what they wanted with it! I think they had a good time being creative, but most of all, eating it when they were done! Our "House"
Emily, Matt & Katie at work.
Matt putting some MM's on the roof.
Doing a little bit of frosting!
This picture below is of a Pavlova I made. Pavlova is the national dessert of Australia, and is usually topped with strawberries and passionfruit with the kiwi fruit and bananas. I searched everywhere for fresh strawberries but no luck there. Then I think I'd have to go to Hawaii to find passionfruit or even to find someone that has heard of it! It is a tropical fruit that is very delicious! Oh well. So my pavlova looks a wee bit bare and colourless without the strawberries, but it was still very yummy, and we shared it with some friends last weekend. As always, it was a hit. For those of you that have never had Pavlova, it is made from egg whites and sugar, and has a hard outside shell, with soft marshmallow inside and is topped with fresh whipped cream and fruit. It is truly delicious!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I love the Gingerbread house! My mom use to make hers from scratch and these are some fond Christmas memories of mine. I love the smell of that baking in the oven! Your kids will always remember that as I do! Great job! That Pavlova looks so good. I would love to try it some time! That is so neat to share your traditions with others, you are so sweet and talented!